Monday, February 6, 2012

Rabbit Hunting, Pointing, and Playing with the Kids

I have lots to report since my last update. We've been taking Artus out to look for rabbits in preparation for his VJP test this spring. We have not had a lot of luck finding rabbits but we keep trying new places. In the meantime, he is developing his search pattern more and more and I like the way he covers ground.

We had him out on some lava rocks the other day and it was rough going for Artus and for us. He cut two paws on the rocks right off but it didn't slow him down at all. He did find a dead porcupine and roll in it which led to the extraction of about 20 quills.

Yesterday, we worked on pointing some captive chukars with him. I accidentally let one loose so we took Artus out to hunt it down in the field. I shot it and he did a good job of retrieving it to me. Then we tied one and practiced working him into it and pointing. He did a decent job with it and we will continue working on that. It's amazing to see the transformation that comes over him when he's on game. Normally, he is pretty much a goofball. When he's hunting, he flips a switch and is incredibly intense. I like that about him.

I also like how well he interacts with my kids. He plays great with them. I'm going to add a video link and pics to this blog from the other day when Artus was playing with my boys on the trampoline. They have a great time.

We signed up to do the VJP in South Dakota in April. It's the only date that will work with my work schedule but we will make a vacation of it. I'm really hoping he does well there.









Please click on the box below to see a short video of Artus playing with the boys.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Jared! I like your blog. I need your email address so I can add you to our blog, since it is now private. However you want to do that will be great!

    ReplyDelete