My family's adventures in dogs and hunting in the Frozen Wasteland of Idaho
Saturday, June 18, 2011
Introduction to Water
We live on a ranch with frontage along the Snake River. Lately the river has been running high with the spring runoff and flooding in areas. Kaci and I took the dogs down to play in the water and see if we could get Artus to go for a swim. The kids came along too and everyone had a great time. Once Artus figured out the water wasn't going to hurt him he was a natural. I forgot to bring training bumpers so I used sticks. I just threw the sticks farther each time and eventually he started swimming for them. Also, there were several times he caught the scent of something and it was like a switch was turned on. He started tracking and was all business. He followed some raccoon tracks for a while too. I have some pictures to go with it. Enjoy.
He's in this pic! He's the black dot way out in the water!
He is definitely getting big Rachel. He' over 40 pounds now. He will be over 70 pounds by the time he is done growing. One of the things I like about this breed is that they are compatible with my kids. The boys take Artus outside on a leash and play with him in the house and he is not too much for them to handle. A lot of that is because of the early training we gave him but he does seem to have a nice "off switch" when we ask him to. The boys have a great time when we go out with him too! It's nice to be able to all go as a family.
He's sure getting big! So cool that you guys can all go do stuff with him, and that the boys are having just as much adventure as Artus is! :)
ReplyDeleteHe is definitely getting big Rachel. He' over 40 pounds now. He will be over 70 pounds by the time he is done growing. One of the things I like about this breed is that they are compatible with my kids. The boys take Artus outside on a leash and play with him in the house and he is not too much for them to handle. A lot of that is because of the early training we gave him but he does seem to have a nice "off switch" when we ask him to. The boys have a great time when we go out with him too! It's nice to be able to all go as a family.
ReplyDelete