Monday, June 6, 2011

Pigeons, Roadkill, and Controlled Hunts

We've moved now and Artus is having a good time learning to live on the farm. It's nice to have access to a field out back to let the dogs run. We've added another dog to the pack. Kaci's Shiloh Shepherd has come to live with us. She was being kept in Utah with a friend while we were living in an apartment. She and Artus get along pretty good, meaning she puts up with his puppy antics.

I have some roller pigeons that have been at my in-laws' house and they will be coming out to the farm this week. Today I took one and braided it's wings and put it out in the yard for Artus to find it. I put Artus on a long lead and when he found it I made him "whoa" until he held a point and didn't just rush in. Then I let him get the bird and bring it to me. We did it a couple of times. He didn't really want to give the pigeon up but eventually he did. He acted like light bulbs were going off in his head. He loved having a bird in his mouth. This is a great thing.

Another thing we've worked on is drags with wings or animals. We found a squirrel that had been hit in the road the other day so we tied a string on it and drug it through the yard and had Artus look for it. He is doing a decent job with that too.

He is getting much better at coming when called and heeling. Lots of people recognize him and give him lots of attention when we go to town.

On another note, I put in for controlled hunts (I got lucky and was just in time for the deadline.) I'm hoping to get my first deer this year. I made sure I applied for a late hunt so I could hunt deer after my layoff for the winter.

Unfortunately I don't have many pics this time so these will have to do.




2 comments:

  1. I thought the other dog was one of the neighbor dogs. I guess not. Are you keeping them both on the front porch?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Devon has a heeler that doesn't put up with Artus well at all. My neighbor on the other side has a pitbull that loves to play with him. The shepherd is Kaci's. She was living at a friend's house while we were in the apartment. For right now the dogs are on the porch until the chaos from unpacking is resolved. Artus is pretty much house broke but I don't want to take chances on the new carpet and Aili is shedding her coat right now so the front porch is a good place for them to be.

    ReplyDelete