Thursday, April 21, 2011

Socialization and Random Pics

Things have been busy around here and I haven't been able to do a whole lot with Artus lately. Last week we did go out to several places repeatedly to get some socialization time. They love him at Sportsman's Warehouse, Petsmart, and PETCO. He's also been to several people's houses and also the PETCO socialization day last Saturday. All of this helps him learn to get along with other dogs and people. I've noticed he doesn't play as rough with other dogs as he did and he loves people, especially kids. I've been exposing him to cats too because aggression towards them can be a problem with this breed.

We had him out at the farm the other day and he didn't like the cows much which is just fine with me. All I want him to do on the farm is go around with me and hang out. No working cows for this dog. He wasn't sure of them at first and then just got used to them being there and didn't worry about it.

In the next week or two I'm going to be introducing him to wild birds and maybe some planted pigeons. I think he will do good. Everything I've seen in Artus so far leads me to believe he has great instincts.

In other news, we'll be moving to the farm in Firth in a couple of weeks. We're looking forward to having more space and less neighbors. I will be raising birds again there and some of them will be used in my training.

Here's some shots of Artus. He's now doubled in weight in the five weeks I've had him. He's 25 pounds now.

Pointing ducks and geese at the river:




Getting in trouble at Sportsman's Warehouse:


Random pics from the park and other outings:








Watching bulls being tested at the vet.




Thanks for looking!

3 comments:

  1. We would love to meet him sometime, and I'm sure we will. He's looking like a great dog. I'm sure you are all excited for the farm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the firth house is bigger than your house now?! I can't believe it! But I hope it works out well for you--I know how much you love the country!
    And how cool that there are so many places to take your dog! He's a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leslie - we can arrange for you to meet Artus, especially if you check out the rabbits sometime.

    Rachel - the farm house is bigger than my apartment and $200 less per month in rent plus I have the ability there to work my rent off in the winter when I'm not working. This will allow us to save up money to replace our vehicles and save for a place of our own. Oh- and it's not an apartment. I can't stand apartments. Give me some space and fewer neighbors minding my business please! Plus in the country I can have dogs and poultry and cows and rabbits and whatever else I decide.

    ReplyDelete