Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Training, Water Work, and Meeting a Coyote

We've been doing a lot with Artus along with all the other things that keep us busy. I've been working some crazy hours lately but we still make time to do some training. Hunting season is getting close and we're just about ready for it. I just wish I could find an area with lots of wild birds to practice pointing on.

Two Saturdays ago, I went down to a VGP training day in Logan, Utah. There were three dogs there from the "A" litter vom Barenwald. They looked really good and it was a real eye opener for me to see all the work that goes into training for the VGP. The VGP is the "finished dog" test for Drahthaars and it is a pretty big deal. The guys there let me do a blood track with Artus and we showed him a (dead) fox as well. Those were new things for him. Something I notice and like about Drahthaars: We unloaded eight of them and they were all checking each other out but there was no posturing or fighting. Impressive to me. My wife and sons came down too and they had a good time shooting pellet guns and checking out the forest.

When we left there, we took the boys to Bear Lake. It's on the border of Idaho and Utah. We had fun playing in the water and Artus swam like an otter. He also did a lot of retrieves with a Frisbee I borrowed from some people there.

Yesterday, I took him just outside of Idaho Falls to look for more birds. We were walking up a hill when he disappeared fifty yards to my left. I kept walking thinking he was just ranging out farther. Then I heard him on the trail of something about fifty yards farther in a straight line from where I had last seen him. I called for him but kept hearing the "sight loud" sound. Then that stopped and I saw a dust cloud. I ran down the hill in time to see a coyote race away and Artus chasing it. I called him off after a short chase of about fifty feet. He didn't get bit or injured and wasn't scared one bit.

Today we did some retrieving work with him in the canal. He does really well. It's hard to believe he's only six months old.

First video:


Second video:












No comments:

Post a Comment