Monday, September 5, 2011

Labor Day Weekend Hunting Trip

Day 1
Saturday

We got up to Spencer about 6pm and got the fire started, tent set up, and dinner made by 8:30. Everything is going smoothly. A sign on the tree in our campground said that this is a required food storage order area. Meaning that we are in grizzly country. So we will take precautions against bears while we are up here.

Kaci did a great job with making a great dinner and dessert.

Day 2
Slept good but woke up sore from sleeping on the ground. It was very cold this morning and Kaci once again made great food for us. We took Artus to hunt for grouse. He pointed several chipmunks but didn't find any grouse. We did manage to crack our oil filter. Not too bad of a leak so we will monitor it until we get back to town tomorrow.

We took Artus to a spot where we always find sage grouse. The season isn't open right now but we thought it would be a good place to find wild birds and we were correct. He bumped a flock of sage grouse and was overheating by then so we went back to camp to take naps.

After naps and another awesome dinner by Kaci, we went up to look for grouse again. We were running out of daylight so we took a fairly quick hike. I sent Artus into a really marshy area that I couldn't get into because he was acting like he was on to something. Right in the middle of the marsh, I heard him go "sight loud". This means he saw something with fur. We couldn't see him and didn't know what it was so I called him back out. No luck on the grouse.

Observations: he gets really hot when it's over 70 degrees. Also, I need to work with him on pointing my pigeons at home and shoot a couple over him so he can focus on birds when we hunt. I don't know how many song birds and chipmunks he chased and pointed while we hunted. He knows we're supposed to be looking for something, but I'm not sure he understands just what I want.

Day 3

Got up, broke camp, and went home.











No comments:

Post a Comment